Coimbatore is one of the biggest cities in South India. The temple of Lord Sri Ayyappa Swami is situated in the mid part of the city,.The devotees are
much proud to honour the temple as the Second Sabari Mala. The Siddhapudur Ayyappa Swami Temple is a well known and a famous temple.
Devotees from the other states, they commence their Sabarimala Pilgirimage with the sacred garlanding and "Virtha" the (procedural diet restrictions).
During their Pilgrim, they visit Sidhapudur Sri Ayyappa Swamy Temple and stay on account of rest.Then they continue the pilgrimage. And that this temple
in considered as a mid-station for rest, to the devotees from all over India. This place is in known for purity and divinity.
This temple has got a noble history of establishment. In the early stage, specifically during 1942 some of the devotees started the Pooja Sang in a
simple way of worship through Bhajans. During the traditional Mandal Pooja they started the “Ayyappan Vilakku Pooja”. Then they commenced the Sabari Mala
Yathra. This custom was regulated properly and continued in every year.
During 1955, the registration under the society act, took place in the name of “THE COIMBATORE SREE AYYAPPA SEVA SANGAM”. Gradually the development was
attended with the guidance of devotees.
In the year 1958, a land to construct a temple was purchased at Siddhapudur. The industrialist Sri Narasi Thulasidas aided further in providing a shed
at the temple site. The devotees continued their worship in the shed after installing the portrait of Lord Sri Ayyappaswamy. The Bajans and Poojas were
conducted in a proper manner.
His Excellency Vishnuram Medhi, the Governor of Tamilnadu laid the foundation stone for the purpose of construction of the Temple. During 1966,
Brahma Sri Kanippaiyur Shankaran Nambudhiripad had rendered the sacred chart consisting of the dimensional measures and symmetrical proportions of the
structure of the temple. It was thus, implemented and the formations of the temple were done with the strict norms and regulations of the ancient
carpentry and building systems.
According to the chart a temple for Sri Ayyappaswamy was properly arranged in the central-location. Around this location, the temples for Lord
Vinayaga, Goddess Durga, Lord Sri Muruga and Lord Sri Vishnu, were also accommodated. In this row, the temple kitchen [Madapally] was also provided.
During, March 24th of 1969 Respectable Palakkattillathu Periya Neelakandan Nambudhiri headed the team of priests to conduct the first
“Kumbabishekam” – ceremony. Almost 27 years of hard work brought the result with good omen to the devotees of Sri Ayyappaswami.
From that day onwards, the Pooja Anustanas were carried out on the divisional procedure so called as Mel Shanthi and Keel Shanthi. All the rites and
rituals were with strict followings of the processes which were regularized by the ancient and traditional methods, and as those of Mahakhethras of
After three years i.e in 1972, the [Kodi Maram] “Dwaja sthamba” was installed. Just as if the great temple of the state Kerala, the daily procedures
of “SEEVELI” offerings followed by the customary worshiping.
During 1973 a land adjacent to the temple was purchased. The traditional “Arattu Festival” meant for celebrating the festival in the Tank – water was
During 1980, a Community hall was built and the occasion was inaugurated by the famous film actor Sri Shivajee Ganeshan. By 1981, the second renovation
ceremony was celebrated and during the occasion the Tiled roofing of the Sanctum Sanctorum were converted into Copper Tiles and the Kalasams were covered
with Gold. followed by third Kumbabisheham during 1993. After an interval of Twelve years the fourth Kumbabisheham was celebrated during 2005.
During 1986 a new temple for Lord Shiva was constructed. As per the predictions of Astrologers a separate temple for Lord Shiva was preferred. For
which purpose, the land in the western side of temple was purchased and the temple for Lord Shiva in a separate Temple was then built and the
Kumbabhishekam was performed in the year 2008.During 2008, the Kumbabirshiham to the temple of Lord Shiva was performed.
During 1988 His Holiness. Kanchi Kamakoti Peedathipathi Sri Sri Jayendra Saraswathi Swamigal, inaugurated the completion of “Raja Gopuram”. The usage
of Black stones in this particular job was an appreciable affair.
During 2002, all around the temple, the passages were converted to black–stones.
The door way and the kalasas of this temple also coated with gold rakes.
Very convincingly the events were getting the progress and to the extent of astonishment, this year during February the Kodi Maram [Dwajassthambam]
was built in pure gold.
During the February month of this same year, the Dwajasthamba [Flag – Post] was installed in pure gold. In this entire Tamilnadu, this is the only
temple which is provided with the golden – Dwajasthamba.
In addition, the temple doors and the Kalasas of the other sanctum-sanitorum like Lords Vinayaga Sri Muruga, Sri Vishnu and Goddess Durga were also
included and provided with gold coverings.
The month Phalguni (March) especially on the star-date of “Rohini”, the temple was established. The celebrations of the festival were to commence 8
days before this date.
The customary procession with elephants, grand cultural activities, philosophic programme and the musical recitals are included in the festival days.
The pallivettai, Arattu Procession and special Pooja Anustanas are programmed in a marvelous way.